Note: I used a promotional offer to get my first month free; however, this Rocksbox review is not sponsored. Affiliate links are included, which may provide a small commission at no added cost to you. Thank you for your support! Please be assured I wouldn’t recommend a product I don’t believe in.
Have you guys ever heard of Rocksbox? I hadn’t either until recently, so I was intrigued to try it and share my review. Rockbox is basically a jewelry rental program – kind of like Netflix for jewelry (back when you would get the DVDs in the mail). It is like having a super fashionable, rich best friend who you get to borrow jewelry from each month!
They have all the hottest names from Kendra Scott to Gorjana and many, many more! Below is my full detailed Rocksbox review as well as a video of my Rocksbox unboxing. Want to try it out for yourself? Use my referral code to get your first month free: ERICAMBFF22 (you enter it right below where you add your credit card info).
How does Rocksbox work?
- For $19/month you receive as many Rocksboxes as you would like in that month OR buy multiple months at once as a gift, which I think is the best deal (more on this below).
- You get 3 pieces of jewelry per box from top jewelry designers. To name drop, they have House of Harlow 1960, Perry Street, Kendra Scott, Slate, Gorjana, Jenny Bird, and many more.
- Keep all three pieces of jewelry as long as you want.
Love them all? Keep them the whole month or longer. This Rocksbox is not tied to this month. Think of it more like you pay $19/month to always have one Rockbox on hand. Whether that is the same one for 2 months or 3 different Rocksboxes each month is completely up to you.
Not your style? Send them back immediately and you will get a new Rocksbox in about a five day turnaround time depending on shipping times.
An important clarification: you must always send back the three pieces in each box at once. You can’t send back two and keep one of the pieces and expect two more pieces to arrive.
- You do have the option to buy the pieces you received at a lower membership price, and each month you get a $10 credit that applies to any purchase you make.
- Shipping is free both ways, and Rocksbox provides an easy prepaid envelope to return the items.
Here are the questions I had during my Rocksbox review (w/answers):
1. What if I lose the back of an earring or something?
This was one of my first questions I thought about as I was unboxing for my Rocksbox review. So, I checked on the website and easily found it in their FAQs: “Don’t worry – it happens! Your membership fee covers normal wear for all products. If there’s slight damage or wear (e.g. lost earring back, a stone falls out, etc.) this is fully covered!”
2. When do I have to send it back?
Completely up to you! You can send it back as soon as you get it or hold on to a Rocksbox for multiple months. As long as you are still subscribing of course 🙂
3. So I get one box per month for $19?
No, you get as many as you want within the one month period depending on how often you send them back. It typically takes about five days from the time you send them in until when you receive your next Rocksbox, but that may differ based on location and shipping times.
4. Are these pre-worn? If so, are they sterilized?
Yes and yes. This was a very crucial question for me that I paid close attention to during my Rocksbox review. The pieces are pre-worn, but I did not notice any signs of wear on the pieces I received. All looked brand new to me. I also wanted to confirm that they were very thoroughly sterilized in between uses, which I did on the Rocksbox website.
5. Does the $10 credit roll over month to month?
No, but you will get a new $10 credit the next month. So, you essentially have a $10 discount on one piece you buy each month. Also, you can get credit for referring a friend and that credit does not expire and can be used towards purchasing your pieces as well.
6. How big is the discount on items you choose to buy?
As mentioned before, you can choose to keep any of the items you receive for a discounted “membership price.” The membership price for each of my items was roughly 15% off retail.
Here are the 3 pieces I got for my Rocksbox review:
Did you like the pieces you got?
Yes, I really liked all the pieces I got for my Rocksbox review! None were ones that I couldn’t live without, so I didn’t purchase any of them, but I loved accessorizing with them during the month I had them.
All were very versatile and could be worn with just about anything. They could be dressed up or down, so I could get a lot of use out of them. The two pairs of earrings I received were ones that I had “starred” in the wishlist selection process that you will go through when you sign up (more on this below).
The third piece, the necklace, was one that I thought was a little boring at first, but I put it on when taking photos for my Stitch Fix review and realized that it looked amazing on and really pulled together the whole outfit. This is where the quality of the jewelry is really apparent. If I were to buy a lower cost version of that Gorjana necklace which is just three layered chains, it would not have looked nearly as good!
How to improve your selections:
Fill out your style profile.
When you sign up with Rocksbox, you will be prompted to fill out a style survey which asks you questions like: do you prefer gold or silver jewelry? what style of necklaces do you prefer? etc.
Make sure that you put some thought into your answers because they will definitely impact what pieces are selected for you. You may want to expand your style and try things you wouldn’t ordinarily pick out, but it’s important to keep that in mind when you get things and think “This isn’t me – why did they pick it?”
You can update your style profile at any time if your preferences change, so don’t feel like you are married to them forever.
Pick plenty of jewelry pieces on your Wishlist.
You will also be prompted to “star” as many items as you want to add to your Wishlist. Rocksbox recommends that you add at least 30 items to get the best results. This makes it more likely that you will receive an item that you have picked and it gives your stylist a better sense of your preferences.
Rate your jewelry items before you send them back.
By sharing what you liked and didn’t like about your items, you can increase the likelihood that you will like your next items. For example, if you get a bangle and it is way too big because you have really small wrists, you want to mention the fit and perhaps stop getting bangles or only ones that are adjustable in size.
Connect your Instagram to your Rocksbox account.
This is such a great feature! When you connect your account, you can simply follow the Rocksbox Instagram account and then comment with “#wishlist” on any photos that you like. Then, Rocksbox will automatically add those items to your wishlist! This makes is so convenient to build you wishlist, and lets you see what they look like on.
Rocksbox review final verdict:
What I loved:
- The Rocksbox packaging is absolutely adorable! From the navy box tied up in a pink bow to the pastel tissue paper, it all adds to the experience. It feels so exclusive and special from the moment you open it.
- Jewelry rental is such a great concept because I think “fun” jewelry tends to be very tied to trends. So, you may not want to spend $100 on a trendy item that will be out of style next season. Yet, you still really love the look! Rocksbox solves that conundrum by letting you borrow the latest pieces.
- Since you can get as many boxes as you want for the same $19/month fee, it feels much less risky. You can easily get a “redo” (typically less than a week later) if the first three pieces you get initially aren’t what you are looking for.
- I love that it allows you to try new items that you may not pick out for yourself or may be out of your comfort zone. For instance, I always want to have a statement necklace, but I tend to hesitate buying one because it feels like a stretch for me. With Rocksbox you can request one, try it out with your different outfits, wear it out, and test the waters before you commit to an expensive piece.
- Your Rocksbox jewelry refreshes older clothing items you have, giving them a totally new look. I am always amazed how just adding a different necklace or pair of earrings can completely change a look.
- I think the Rocksbox stylists have great tastes and I found many different items within their selection that I would love to wear. They have a wide selection, so I think everyone could find plenty of items they would love.
What I didn’t like:
- I think the membership price discount should be better. All three of my items would have been roughly 15% retail price if I chose to buy them. Given that these items are pre-worn, I think that about 25% off would be more what I would expect. 15% seems just like a sale you would see at a store for new pieces.
- If you absolutely love one of the three pieces and want to wear it to a dinner you have next week, you still have to keep the other two pieces even if you don’t like them as must since have to send them back all together. I do understand why they do this though because it would be tough to keep track if they were all separate.
- The fee is a bit higher than I would like to be able to use in month after month. At $19 per month, I will probably use it every now and then as a treat and definitely as a gift. If it was in the $5-10 per month range, I would use it quite frequently.
Rocksbox Review Wrap Up:
So, to wrap up my Rocksbox review, I think that it is one of the best gift ideas I have discovered recently! Instead of buying your sister one necklace for her birthday, for $50 you can let her try out dozens during a three-month period PLUS she get’s a $10 gift card to buy a piece. How amazing is that?
Even if you are buying it for yourself, I have a little Rocksbox review tip for you guys. After you try your first month free using my referral code (ERICAMBFF22), I recommend buying the gift packages. These packages give you discounted rates PLUS a gift card! I love a bargain and that is such a great deal!
Buying it for myself? I would not use it month after month just because I don’t typically spend that much on jewelry. However, I would buy it intermittently as a little gift for myself or put it on my wishlist for a birthday or holiday. I loved trying out new pieces that I would not buy ordinarily because I am pretty cost-conscious. Also, I think Rocksbox is great to have during seasons where you may have a lot of events (like wedding season).
Hope you found this Rocksbox review helpful. I highly recommend you try it out for yourself to see what you think! Sign up and use my referral code ERICAMBFF22 to get your first month free! Want to see more subscription box reviews? Let me know which ones in the comments below. Happy accessorizing!