I can’t wait to share with you this list of brilliant kitchen hacks. Hacks posts are some of my favorites because they teach you super creative ways to save time and money using items you already have around the house.
These are tips & tricks you can use on a daily basis, and when you read them you often think, “Why didn’t I think of that?”
1. Display recipes with pants hanger when cooking so you can easily read them. (via Snapguide)
2. Use a mason jar as a blender pitcher. This is so genius I almost didn’t believe it! This is perfect for a quick smoothie you can bring on the go or whipping up a homemade salad dressing in no time. (via Kitchn)
3. Put a lemon in the microwave for 15 seconds before juicing to easily squeeze out all the juice.
4. Put a damp cloth under your cutting board to prevent slipping. (via The Cottage Market). I’ve also seen the smart idea of using a small piece of a non-slip rug mat from Ikea for this, which is great since it is reusable and you don’t have to put it in the laundry.
You have probably heard the wooden spoon hack to put one on your boiling pot to ensure it doesn’t boil over. But, have you heard of this one?
5. Put a wooden spoon in the hole in the pot handle. This acts as a spoon rest and the drips will go right back into the pot.
6-11. Watch this video for 6 more amazing food hacks:
12. Use a straw to easily remove the strawberry top and leaves. All you have to do is push the straw all the way through from the bottom to the top. The little leaf hat will pop right off. This kitchen hack gives a whole new meaning to the name “strawberry”. (via Bored Panda)
13. Use a Kitchen Aid mixer to shred chicken quickly. Shredded chicken is an amazing meal prep option. You can make it on Sunday and have it available for the week for tacos, chicken salad, and tons of other recipes. (via Two Twenty One)
14. Did you know that you can check the freshness of an egg by putting it in a glass of water? If it is fresh, it will sink. If it is older, it will float. (via Cosmopolitan)
15. To revive stale baked goods like bread, wrap in a damp paper towel and stick in the microwave for 10 seconds. There is also an oven method if you prefer, it just takes a bit longer.
16. Microwave a corn husk to easily remove the husk without any mess! (via Simply Recipes)
See it for yourself:
17. Revive flat champagne or sparkling wine by simply adding a raisin to the bottle.
18. Cook a perfect fried egg with a mason jar lid
If you don’t have a mason jar lid, you can do the same thing with a ring of onion or a circular cookie cutter.
19. Make steak fries in a fraction of the time by using an apple slicer to make the wedges. Then, bake in the oven and you will have homemade steak fries in time for a weeknight dinner. Plus, they are much healthier than the ones you would get at restaurants. (via eBay)
Don’t you hate when you have to buy a whole bushel of herbs when you only need a tiny bit for a recipe? Then, by the time you need it again, it is no longer good. I hate food waste, so this is the perfect kitchen hack:
20. You can dry leftover fresh herbs by microwaving them for about 1-2 minutes. Then, you can reuse them for months. (via The Frugal Girls)
21. Quickly make a disposable funnel by cutting off the corner of an envelope. Obviously, this is only for dry ingredients, but it is perfect to transfer ingredients like spices or rice to jars when organizing your kitchen. (via Martha Stewart)
22. Coat measuring cups or spoons with cooking spray to ensure all of your stubborn ingredients comes out. I wish I had known about this hack the other day when I was making peanut butter energy bites. I was scraping the measuring spoon with my finger to try to get all the peanut butter out. (via Krazy Coupon Lady)
23. Similarly, cooking spray keeps the cheese from sticking to the cheese grater. This will make cleanup so much easier. This is another kitchen hack and cleaning hack all in one. (via Simply Shellie)
24. Wrap plastic wrap or aluminum foil around the stems of your bananas to slow down the ripening process. (via Somewhat Simple)
Ever since we moved to Texas, I feel like our bananas barely last a few days before they turn brown and my husband is very picky about his bananas. Once they get too many brown spots, he won’t eat them. So, this kitchen hack is perfect for us!
25. Seal chips bags by simply folding them. No clips? No problem. (via Buzz Feed)
26. Store natural nut butter upside down to keep it from separating. (via The Kitchn)
Natural nut butters don’t have added saturated fat, which is what makes them better for you. However, that saturated fat is what keeps them from separating. So, they get that oil layer on top that you have to mix in before using. This hack lets you get the best of both worlds. You can use the healthier product and still not have to deal with the hassle of mixing up before using.
27. Create a center in the middle of leftovers (like a doughnut shape) before reheating in the microwave. This will make them heat more evenly. (via The Kitchn)
28. To create the perfect ice cream sandwich, you can slice a pint of ice cream into perfect circles. (via @fooddheaven)
29. Make your own taco shells and taco salad bowls in the oven. To create the shells, drape the tortillas over the oven racks. To create the taco salad bowls, use a muffin tin. (via Mr. & Mrs. Vegan)
30. To keep your burgers nice and flat when cooking instead of swelling into a ball, put a thumbprint in the center before you cook them. (via Buzz Feed)
31. Make bacon in your waffle iron. This is a fantastic idea because you may already have your waffle iron warmed up for breakfast prep. Well, after cooking your waffles, throw some bacon on there to have crispy in minutes. One less pan to clean. (via One Good Thing by Jillee)
This is just one of the 25+ waffle maker hacks available in our post, so make sure to check it out. You can make muffins, cinnamon rolls, corn dogs, and so much more!
27 Surprising Waffle Maker Recipes You’ll Wish You Knew Sooner
Which of these kitchen hacks can you not wait to share with your friends? Let us know what other life hack posts you want to see next. Pin this post to save these ideas for later: